Recipe Submitted By Garrett H in Indiana
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (packed) grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp saffron
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups Organic chicken broth
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, trimmed, bulbs quartered vertically
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots (about 1½ lbs), peeled, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 butternut squash cubed
- Heat ¼ cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add next 6 ingredients and 2 tablespoons each parsley, dill, and mint; sauté 3 minutes longer. Scrape contents of skillet into heavy large pot; reserve skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of chicken and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to pot with onion mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken in 2 more batches, adding more oil by tablespoonfuls if needed.
- Add broth to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Transfer broth to pot; add fennel, celery, carrots, and squash. Bring tagine to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until chicken and all vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to large bowl. Boil sauce until reduced enough to coat spoon, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken and vegetables to sauce. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.)
- Rewarm tagine over medium heat. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of parsley.
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://drhagmeyer.com/chicken-vegetable-tagine/