Discover an Exciting New Drug Free Treatment For Low Thyroid Symptoms, Hyperthyroidism, Graves and Hashimotos!
Get To The Root Cause of Your Thyroid Problems using Functional Medicine!
Natural Hypothyroidism Treatment Approach
Many individuals experience symptoms of thyroid disease and do not even realize that the experiences they are having could indicate a potentially dangerous complication. The thyroid is a relatively small gland that is located in the lower region of the neck. Its sole responsibility is to secrete thyroid throughout the body.
There are two specific hormones that are released by the Thyroid gland.
The first is known as “Thyroxine” or “T4? and the second is known as “Triiodothyronine” or “T3?. The hormones that are released are responsible for delivering energy to the various cells in the body. There are many complications that may occur with the thyroid. The implications of the thyroid on the rest of your body are vast.
The thyroid directly supports the following systems:
- Bone metabolism
- Immune System
- Brain/Nervous System
- Endocrine System (adrenal glands, ovaries, testes)
- Gastrointestinal function
- Liver and gallbladder
- Growth/Sex hormones
- Fat Burning
- Insulin and Glucose Metabolism
- Healthy cholesterol levels
- Proper stomach acid
Most People Who Have Thyroid Problems Are Not Getting The Proper Treatment
Most people with hypothyroidism would agree that their condition is not due to a deficiency in synthetic thyroid hormone. After all, if it was this simple then millions of men would feel better simply by taking thyroid hormone replacement.
In the next few minutes, I’m going to reveal to you how millions of men and women just like you with Thyroid problems are being misdiagnosed and mis-managed every day. And, not knowing this, will have devastating consequences on your future health.
You’re Reading my site today for one of 3 reasons…
1. You think you have a thyroid problem…you have thyroid-like symptoms, but your lab tests are “normal” and your doctor doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with you—not physically anyway.
2. You’ve been diagnosed with a thyroid problem, such as a low thyroid –also called hypo-thyroid—and you’re taking Levothyroxine or Synthroid or Armour, Cytomel or special compounded replacement…At first you felt good and then after a few months, the honey moon period was over and now many of your thyroid symptoms returned! Perhaps you continue to suffer with low thyroid symptoms such as hair loss, weight gain despite diet and exercise, memory and loss of brain function, Brain fog, focus, concentration, irritability, migraines, anxiety, sleeping problems, depression, digestive problems, crippling fatigue, etc. Even worse, you’ve been told that despite feeling this way your lab numbers and blood work look “NORMAL” —there’s that word again.
3. Or the third reason you’re reading …you’ve already been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s –an autoimmune thyroid condition…and you’re being “treated” for it, but your current treatment isn’t working—you still don’t feel right—and YOU may have been told that your lab numbers look ‘normal’ now—but you don’t feel normal.
What’s going to shock you and probably make you mad is this….your thyroid can malfunction in over 30 different ways….and only ONE of those ways will ever respond well to taking thyroid hormones. Hence the reason, if you are taking Thyroid medication, you don’t feel much better. You may even be wondering if they are working? You will learn more about these different ways in just a moment.
Most endocrinologists tell just about all of their patients with low thyroid, hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis to take synthetic thyroid hormone for the rest of their life. It is pretty safe to say that they will never attempt to find out why the person developed a hypothyroid condition to begin with.
(you can read my article titled “Why doesn’t my endocrinologist know about this”
My Thyroid Medication Doesn’t Seem To Be Helping Me, Do I Really Need To Take It?
A common statement I hear from many people is, “I don’t know why I even bother taking this thyroid medication, it doesn’t do anything”. Although some people do need to take synthetic or natural thyroid hormone on a permanent basis, many people have overlooked just how powerful natural medicine, dietary changes and functional medicine can be when it comes to restoring thyroid function. See Dr Hagmeyers Patient Testimonials
If you are tired of managing symptoms and not addressing the root cause of your thyroid disorder, you are not alone, in fact, more and more people with hypothyroidism are turning to Functional Medicine for the holistic treatment and management of their thyroid disorder.
While there are many great endocrinologists and general practitioners trying to help their patients the best that they can, Functional Medicine is aimed at getting to the root cause of the problem and that is something that just can’t be done with medicine and surgery.
The Cause of Your Thyroid Problem Is Usually Not What You Think. And Until You Identify it, You Will Continue To Feel Lousy.
Most people with hypothyroidism don’t realize that the malfunctioning thyroid gland is usually not the primary cause of their condition. Have you ever stopped to wonder WHY your thyroid gland stopped working? I mean after all, there has to be a reason? So, while giving thyroid hormone replacement may make up for low hormones, it’s not addressing the many causes of your condition.
So hopefully your thinking at this point, what’s causing my Thyroid problem? This is the exact question you need to be thinking if you are ever going to get truly well.
As you can see in the illustration below, Low Thyroid has it’s causes rooted in Leaky Gut, Adrenal gland imbalances, Inflammation, Infection, Hormone (Estrogen, Testosterone, Progesterone) Imbalances, Vitamin Deficiencies, Endocrine Disruptors like plastics, Heavy metals, fluoride, Autoimmune disregulation, Food Sensitivities and Genetics.
The good news is that many people even with a genetic predisposition for hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis can be helped tremendously, by modifying these causative agents.
Number One Cause of Hypothyroidism In The United States It is Not What You Think It Is.
The latest research show 90% of all hypothyroid conditions are autoimmune in nature. In other words, most people with hypothyroidism have the condition Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis very often results in hypothyroidism with bouts of hyperthyroidism.
Symptoms of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis include weight gain, depression, mania, sensitivity to heat and cold, Numbness and tingling, chronic fatigue, panic attacks, slow heart beat, fast heart beat, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, muscle weakness, joint stiffness, altered menstrual cycle, inward trembling. swelling in the legs and arms, cramps, memory loss, vision problems, infertility and hair loss.
The thyroid gland may become firm, large, and lobulated in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, but changes in the thyroid can also be non-palpable. Enlargement of the thyroid is due to lymphocytic infiltration and fibrosis rather than tissue hypertrophy.
But what causes the disease? Numerous factors like the one we listed in the above illustration, can trigger an autoimmune attack on the thyroid, and as a result damage the thyroid gland.
How would I know I have Hashimoto’s? The disease can be detected clinically by looking for these antibodies in the blood. It is also characterized by invasion of the thyroid tissue by leukocytes, mainly T-lymphocytes. It is associated with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Why You Should Consult with Dr Hagmeyer
- We know that successfully managing thyroid disorders takes more than just managing your TSH with thyroid replacement hormones
- We focus on the immune system, the most common mechanism for thyroid disorders in the United States.
- We take a whole-person approach that factors in hormone imbalance, immune imbalance, adrenal and blood sugar imbalance, and digestive imbalance when formulating our approach for a patient.
- We use functional lab testing to guide and direct our treatment. This means that your treatment protocol is based off the unique imbalances in YOUR body, not just what the “typical” thyroid patient has.
- We Believe that Health problems are caused by Diet and Lifestyle. These must be addressed or you will never get better. We will teach you about proper eating and fueling your body. You will be given counseling and nutritional services. Meal planning, Meal guides and Dr Hagmeyers Metabolic Guide the “H” protocol- The Ultimate Guide For Restoring Health.
- Most importantly, we care for and listen to our patients. We know that every doctor practically herds you in and out of their office and never takes the time to help you understand why you feel the way you do and how the treatment is going to ultimately help you feel and function better. We take a partnership approach to health care and want you to play an integral role in your treatment.
How To Properly Test The Thyroid For Autoimmune Hashimoto’s- Blood Tests For Patients Who Continue To Suffer With Thyroid problems.
One of the most discouraging things I see when working with patients is the very limited testing that has been done on their thyroid. Ten out of ten times, patients are missing some of the most vital thyroid markers. You may not be aware of this but there are 11 lab markers to properly evaluate your thyroid, yet almost all doctors only order two?
- TSH (this is what conventionally is ordered)
- Total T4 (Thyroxine)
How Can you know what is happening in the body if this is all that is ever tested. What about these tests you see below?
- Total T4 (thyroxine)
- FT4 (free throxine) (affected by prescription drugs)
- T3 Uptake (How much of T3 is taken up by TBG)
- Total T3 (Triiodothyronine)
- FT3 (Active Thyroid Hormone)
- Reverse T3
- TPO and TGB Antibodies (Hashimoto’s)
- TSH Antibodies (Graves Disease)
- TBG levels
My Doctor won’t order these Test for Me, What Do I Do Now?
|Purchase Thyroid Testing -All options include a 15-30 min consult with DrHagmeyer to review results.|
It Is These Tests listed above that help us identify the pattern of thyroid dysfunction.
If You Were Told Your Thyroid Tests are Normal- You Need To Understand More About The Six Thyroid Patterns, That Won’t Show Up on Standard Lab Tests.
- Hypothyroidism caused by pituitary dysfunction
This pattern is caused by elevated cortisol, which is in turn caused by active infection, blood sugar imbalances, chronic stress, pregnancy, hypoglycemia or insulin resistance. These stressors fatigue the pituitary gland at the base of the brain so that it can no longer signal the thyroid to release enough thyroid hormone. There may be nothing wrong with the thyroid gland itself. The pituitary isn’t sending it the right messages.
With this pattern, you’ll have hypothyroid symptoms and a TSH below the functional range (1.8 – 3.0) but within the standard range (0.5 – 5.0). The T4 will be low in the functional range (and possibly the lab range too).
- Under-conversion of T4 to T3
T4 is the inactive form of thyroid hormone. It must be converted to T3 before the body can use it. More than 90% of thyroid hormone produced is T4.
This common pattern is caused by inflammation and elevated cortisol levels. T4 to T3 conversion happens in cell membranes. Inflammatory cytokines damage cell membranes and impair the body’s ability to convert T4 to T3. High cortisol also suppresses the conversion of T4 to T3.
With this pattern you’ll have hypothyroid symptoms, but your TSH and T4 will be normal. If you have your T3 tested, which it rarely is in conventional settings, it will be low.
- Hypothyroidism caused by elevated TBG
Thyroid binding globulin (TBG) is the protein that transports thyroid hormone through the blood. When thyroid hormone is bound to TBG, it is inactive and unavailable to the tissues. When TBG levels are high, levels of unbound (free) thyroid hormone will be low, leading to hypothyroid symptoms.
With this pattern, TSH and T4 will be normal. If tested, T3 will be low, and T3 uptake and TBG will be high.
Elevated TBG is caused by high estrogen levels, which are often often associated with birth control pills or estrogen replacement (i.e. Premarin or estrogen creams). To treat this pattern, excess estrogen must be cleared from the body.
- Hypothyroidism caused by decreased TBG
This is the mirror image of the pattern above. When TBG levels are low, levels of free thyroid hormone will be high. You might think this would cause hyperthyroid symptoms. But too much free thyroid hormone in the bloodstream causes the cells to develop resistance to it. So, even though there’s more than enough thyroid hormone, the cells can’t use it and you’ll have hypothyroid – not hyperthyroid – symptoms.
With this pattern, TSH and T4 will be normal. If tested, T3 will be high, and T3 uptake and TBG will be low.
Decreased TBG is caused by high testosterone levels. In women, it is commonly associated with PCOS and insulin resistance. Reversing insulin resistance and restoring blood sugar balance is the key to treating this pattern.
- Thyroid resistance
In this pattern, both the thyroid and pituitary glands are functioning normally, but the hormones aren’t getting into the cells where they’re needed. This causes hypothyroid symptoms.
Note that all lab test markers will be normal in this pattern, because we don’t have a way to test the function of cellular receptors directly.
6. Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis-
This is an autoimmune condition where your immune system is attacking the thyroid gland. unfortunately, No amount of Levothyroxine, Synthroid, Armour, Cytomel or any other thyroid replacement can undo this damage.
How Can A Natural Hypothyroid Treatment Approach Help Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto’s and bouts of Hyperthyroidism?
Unlike conventional medical treatments, Functional Medicine, a natural hypothyroid treatment approach tries to get to the underlying cause of your disorder.
While taking synthetic or natural thyroid hormone might be necessary to manage the symptoms, associated with your thyroid disorder, this won’t do anything to address the other patterns of thyroid disease or the autoimmune component. Driving lab numbers into the “normal” range by taking thyroid replacement hormones such as T4 will not speak to why millions of the women who try it and fail to get relief. It will not stop your suffering from a poor quality of life, Brain Fog, Weight gain, Anxiety, Heart palpitations, Infertility, Depression and more.
So the goal is to detect as many triggers as possible, remove the triggers which is causing the autoimmune response, support the body in reducing inflammation, and suppress the autoimmune component of the condition.
Free Guide Shows You How To Restore Your Thyroid Health Naturally
For more information on how a natural hypothyroid treatment approach might be able to help you, I recommend getting the white paper guide that you can download absolutely free.
You can obtain your free guide simply by filling out your name and email address on the right side of this page. And just to let you know, this guide contains 100% pure content, and is not a “sales report”, or a pitch for any product or service.
You’ll also receive emails on natural thyroid health (typically bimonthly), and will also receive updates on any free seminars and webinars I offer in the future.Other Articles For Natural Thyroid Treatment
- 10 Steps To Supporting Your Thyroid Naturally| Dr. Hagmeyer
- Why Thyroid Testing Is Misleading
- Low Thyroid and Iron Anemia| How Iron Anemia May Be A Factor in Your Low Thyroid Symptoms|
- The Connection Between Hypothyroidism Adrenal Burnout and Sleep Insomnia|
- Adrenal Fatigue and The Thyroid Connection| Dr Hagmeyer Explains Some Common Treatment Pitfalls
- Normal Thyroid Lab Tests? 6 Thyroid Patterns that Wont Show up on Standard Lab Testing
- Change Your Diet, Control Hashimoto’s Disease
- Natural Treatment Methods for Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism
- Iodine and Hashimoto’s an Explosive Mix. What You Need To Know.
- Healthy Thyroid Function Depends on These Specific Vitamins and Minerals-
- Autoimmune Thyroid Dietary Approach
- Low Thyroid Symptoms and Leaky Gut|Dr Hagmeyer Video Naperville Thyroid
- TH1 and Th2 Immune Balancing For Hashimoto’s –
- The Causes Behind Poor Thyroid Conversion
Gluten, Leaky Gut and Thyroid Disease. Natural Thyroid Support Methods
- More information about natural thyroid treatments
Not sure where to start?
In order to make the most out of your time with Dr. Hagmeyer, please take a moment to complete our health questionnaire.