Crock Pot Paleo Stew
This recipe has been modified from the original at Health Bent
- 3 lbs. short ribs or stew meat (Chuck with lots of marbling)
- 3 Tbs butter/ Ghee/or coconut oil
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- Handful of sage, rosemary and thyme, chopped
- 1 qt. chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can of tomato paste (will help thicken)
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Looking for a little kick? add a few dashes of onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Preheat your oven to 250ºF.
- In a heavy bottomed, oven safe pot, melt the butter on high heat. Sear your short ribs until you see a nice brown crust on them.
- Remove and put them on a plate to hang out.
- Add the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until they’ve softened.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, vinegar and herbs.
- Place the short ribs back into the pot.
- Press a sheet of parchment paper onto the surface of the stew and place into the oven.
- Cook for about 4 hours or until the short ribs pull apart easily with a fork.
- Once the short ribs are tender.
- Remove the short ribs and bones.
- Once the meat has cooled, use your fingers to pull apart the meat–believe me, it’s much, much easier than using a fork.
- Add the meat back to the pot and serve.