Crockpot Ropa Vieja with Cuban Style Rice
Yield 6-8 servings
Picture compliments to Paleo OMG.
For the ropa vieja
- 1.5-2lbs chuck roast
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Cuban rice
- 1 head of cauliflower, stem removed and roughly chopped
- 3 thick sliced of bacon, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Pull out your handy dandy crock pot.
- Add your onions and peppers to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Plop your chuck roast on top and cut 4 deep slices into the chuck roast and push your garlic cloves into the roast.
- Now add all your spices and salt and pepper.Then add your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, capers, and bay leaf to the rest of the crockpot.
- Place on low for 6-8 hours or high for 5-7 hours.
- When your ropa vieja is almost done, it’s time to cook your rice
- Add your chopped cauliflower to a food processor with the shredding attachment. And rice all the cauliflower up.
- Add your diced bacon to a large saucepan and cook down up bacon has browned and cooked almost completely through.
- Then add your cauliflower, tomato sauce and spices to the saucepan. Mix thoroughly then cover.
- Let cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring randomly to help incorporate all the flavors.
- Once your ropa vieja is done cooking, use a couple fork to shred your beef in the crockpot.
- Serve ropa vieja on top of cuban cauliflower rice
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://www.drhagmeyer.com/crockpot-ropa-vieja-with-cuban-style-rice/