Hi Dr Hagmeyer here and if you have been struggling with symptoms of IBS and SIBO for any length of time, you know how exhausting it can be going from one doctor to the next without any answers and without any testing that shows whats causing your SIBO and IBS symptoms. IBS historically has been a diagnosis of exclusion meaning that you don’t have celiac disease, you don’t have Crohn’s or Ulcerative colitis then you must have IBS. So after you have been scoped, probed and prodded from top to bottom and everything appears to be normal- you are told you have IBS- Another words, there are no tests that diagnose IBS- just testing that shows you don’t have a typical (IBD) or inflammatory bowel disorders such as (Celiac, Crohn’s, UC). The information that I’m going to share with you today, may change that for you.
Recent Studies Have Shown That 84% Of People With IBS Have An Overgrowth Of Bacteria In Their Small Intestines Known As SIBO.
IBS After Food Poisoning- Your Real Problem Has Just Begun….
While SIBO is diagnosed with a Hydrogen Breath test, it is not the only test that people who get a diagnosis of SIBO should get especially if you have IBS-m or IBS-D. Because the vast majority of people (84%) who are diagnosed with IBS have SIBO-. it only makes sense that we need understand as much about the Root causes as we can so that a treatment plan has the best chance at being effective Over the years, one of the things that many patients will report to me is that they developed IBS symptoms after having traveled out of the United States or after a bout of food poisoning where they spend a few days or week with a fever, chills, vomiting or diarrhea. When this happens most people will go to the doctor and the doctor will run a stool test and that stool test will check for the presence of several different kinds of bacteria known to cause this. Bacteria such as Campylobacter, E. Coli, Shigella, and Salmonella. If any of these bacteria are found, maybe you take antimicrobials, maybe you take antibiotics or maybe you do nothing. In a few days, your symptoms are gone, life is back to normal and you feel good again. Unfortunately, for some individuals their real problem has just begun despite the fact that they feel better and no longer have the fever, vomiting, and constant diarrhea.
40% Of Patients with IBS-D and IBS-M Have Had a Prior Episode Of Gastroenteritis
Not Your Everyday IBS- Testing That Indicates Your IBS-D and IBS-M Is Being Driven By Autoimmune Mechanism.
Some of the most recent studies have shown that 40% of patients with IBS-D and IBS-M have had a prior episode of gastroenteritis and I bet this number will go up as more people begin to get tested and as more doctors start using these tests. What’s important about this episode of gastroenteritis (the infection) is that it is the starting point for what many researchers believe is an underlying autoimmune mechanism.
Let’s talk about these IBS bio markers WHAT they are and WHY they are important. The first one is a neurotoxin made by the bacteria that caused the diarrhea and vomiting. The toxin is known as Cytolethal distending toxin B or (CdtB) for short. You want to be tested for antibodies against this toxin (CdtB) The other biomarker is called anti-vinculin antibodies. Vinculin is a protein that connects the Interstitial Cells of Cajal (ICC) together within the smooth muscle of the small intestines.
The Interstitial Cells of Cajal are the electrical pacemakers of the migrating motor complex (MMC). You may remember from past videos that I have done that the MMC stimulates a wave-like motion in the intestines which not only propels food down and out of the digestive system but also sweeps bacterial debris out of the small intestines. We now know that patients who have Crohn’s, UC (Inflammatory bowel diseases) have problems with the MMC but we also now have testing and studies that show that patients with IBS/ SIBO, also have problems with the migrating motor complex
If you test positive for anti-vinculin antibodies it means that your immune system is attacking this protein and as a result the sweeping of GI contents into the large intestine is inhibited.
So as we bring today’s visit to a close, if you have ever had a bout of travelers’ diarrhea, Montezuma’s revenge and you developed IBS-D or IBS-M, I hope that you get this test done and that It provides you with valuable information as it has for so many of the patients that I have worked with.
That’s going to wrap up todays video-I hope that you have tuned in and have subscribed to my “Everything you want to know about IBS and SIBO video series”, Where I’ll share even more clinical pearls and considerations—Until next time take care
Testing For SIBO
- Need Help with Testing or Retesting for SIBO? Learn more here
- Interested in getting tested for Vinculin antibodies and CdtB fill out a quick contact us form.
People Who Viewed and Watched Today Video Also Watched
- 10 warning signs you have SIBO & When To Get Tested
- Breath Kind Of testing for SIBO
- Eradicate SIBO by incorporating Biofilm Disruptors
- SIBO and Prokinetics- The Missing Piece In Treating SIBO
- Why SIBO Treatments Fail Most Of The Time-Part I
- Part 2 Why SIBO Treatments Fail Most Of The Time-Part II
- 4 Common Mistakes Made On Low FODMAP and SIBO Diet
- Feeling Worse After Taking Probiotics ? Learn Why
- Best Probiotics To take When You Have SIBO and When To Introduce Them
- How Food Poisoning Triggers Autoimmune IBS-D
- What You Need To Know Before Getting Tested For SIBO
- 5 Food Additives You Should Avoid, If You Have SIBO
- Ileocecal Valve Release- Self Massage-How, When And Where To Massage Your Ileocecal Valve
- Why The Ileocecal Valve Holds The Key to IBS and SIBO- What It Is and Why It’s Important
- Vicious cycle of Nutritional Deficiencies Associated With Low FODMAP and SIBO Diet
- SIBO/IBS And The Connection To Thyroid Disease
- Why Antibiotics May Not Be The Best Approach for SIBO
- Medications That Cause IBS, SIBO and Leaky Gut
- Studies Now Connect Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain to Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
Our Personal SIBO Recovery Program is a great place to start
The Personal Program IBS/SIBO/SIFO Recovery Program is a Natural Treatment for IBS and other GI related problems.
Our office implements Advanced Functional lab Testing, Natural Medicine/supplements as well as nutritional counseling tailored specifically to you.
- To See If a Free 15 minute consult is right for you start here
- Still have questions? contact us
- Ready To get started? Purchase Testing and consult here
- Not Sure Where to Start? Have a more complex GI problem you need help with? Have seen several other doctors and still suffering? Consider purchasing an in depth Case Review.
We’re here to listen and help you through this frustrating and confusing time.