Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges or 4-5 slices
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick wedges
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups or more of vegetable/chicken broth
- 4 cups of finely chopped kale
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 400oF (reduce heat by 25oF if using convection oven). Brush rimmed baking sheet with a thin coat of olive oil. Arrange carrots, squash, onion, and garlic on sheet. Drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast vegetables until they are brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Cut squash and carrots into ½ inch pieces; set aside. Place garlic cloves in food processor. Add onion; puree until almost smooth. Transfer puree to large pot. Add 51/2 cups broth, kale, thyme and bay leaf to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add carrots and squash to soup. Simmer 8 minutes to blend flavors, adding more broth to thin soup if necessary. Season with sea salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
Can be made a day ahead. Serves 6.