Low FODMAP | Recipe
- 2 lb. flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon FODY garlic oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- ½ teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 2 (6.5 oz.) cans sliced champignon (button) mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Gluten-Free Brown Rice Fettuccine (prepared according to package directions)
Cut each steak across the grain, into about 4 – 6 sections. Each section should be no wider than 1 ½ inches. (This is important, otherwise you will come out with long strings of meat that are difficult to chew.) Season steak on both sides with the salt and pepper.
Heat the garlic oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the steak in the oil, about 3 to 4 minutes a side, not crowding the skillet and working in batches and adding more oil as needed. Transfer the browned steak to the crock pot. Remove skillet from heat and de-glaze with the wine, scraping up any browned bits. Pour this over the steak in the crock pot.
Add the tomatoes, carrots, sage, thyme, and rosemary to the crock pot and stir gently. Cook on high 5 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours.
Shred the beef with two forks and stir in the mushrooms and tomato paste. Cover and continue cooking on high until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Serve over prepared brown rice fettuccine with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.