Low FODMAP | Recipe
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Kecap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari (for gluten-free) or Coco Aminos
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (omit if using Kecap Manis/sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, optional
- 1–2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (or more as needed // I use avocado oil)
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced Chinese cabbage (aka napa cabbage)
- 4 large eggs, optional
- Cucumber slices, lime wedges, sliced green onion tops (green parts only), red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar (omit if using Kecap Manis/sweet soy sauce), garlic-infused oil, tomato paste, optional fish sauce, and sambal oelek.
- Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add diced carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in shredded cabbage and cook 1 minute more. Add sauce and leftover cooked rice. While continuing to cook, stir everything together until the rice is well-coated with the sauce.
- If omitting eggs, cover rice mixture and continue to cook until rice is hot.
- If using eggs, create four wells in the rice mixture. Carefully add a cracked egg into each well. Cover and cook until rice is hot and eggs are cooked to desired doneness. You may need to reduce heat to prevent the rice from burning.
- Serve warm with optional sliced cucumbers, lime wedges, green onion tops (green parts only), and red pepper flakes.