Olive, Garlic and Lemon Chicken
- 1/4 cup cooking fat
- 1/2 lb black olives (kalamata), cut in half
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 3 cups onion, sliced thinly
- 30 gloves garlic, minced and smashed almost to a paste
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 extra lemons, thickly sliced (remove the seeds with the tip of a knife)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- A bunch of picked thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Melt the cooking fat in a large and hot pan and brown the chicken pieces on all sides, about 6 minutes. Set the chicken aside.
- Cook the onions until soft, about 5 minutes, and make sure to scrape all the delicious chicken bits off the pan while doing so.
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock, thyme and lemon juice and return the chicken thighs to the pan, skin side up.
- Bring to a simmer and place the pan, covered, in the hot oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the halved olives as well as the lemon slices and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered.
- Serve the chicken with the olive, garlic and lemon sauce as well as with some of the lemon slices.