Paleo South American Locro Stew
Yield 8 servings
- 4 lb. butternut squash (7-8 cups diced into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lb. spicy Italian chicken sausage or veal chorizo (both can be found at Whole Foods-the veal chorizo is packaged like the prepackaged ground beef)
- 4 cups diced onions
- 8 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 14.5 oz cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- roasted squash seeds
- Peel the squash using a potato peeler. Cut squash in half; remove seeds and reserve to roast. Dice squash into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rinse reserved seeds in a colander to remove any fibrous strands. Dry seeds with a paper towel. Toss seeds with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Roast the seeds on a prepared baking sheet for 15 minutes
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage; cook, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, until sausage is browned-about 10 minutes. Stir in the onions; cook until they soften, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in squash, tomatoes, broth, jalapeño, oregano and smoked paprika. Partially cover pot; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook stew, stirring occasionally, until squash is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro and season stew with salt and pepper. Garnish stew with scallions and roasted squash seeds.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://www.drhagmeyer.com/paleo-south-american-locro-stew/