Menopause is not a single point in time when hormone production is switched off, but a gradual decline that brings an end to female fertility. During menopause, a woman’s levels of estrogen and progesterone diminish – leading to a lack of menstrual periods. A woman is considered to be in menopause when she’s had no menstrual cycles for 12 months. The right balance of hormones is vital to a woman’s health. But in menopause, when levels are dropping, a deficiency of one hormone can trigger a relative excess of another and result in common imbalances such as:
Results in mood swings, migraines, fat gain in hips and thighs
Triggers hot flashes, night sweats, palpitations, foggy thinking, memory lapse & vaginal dryness
Leads to decreases in bone or muscle mass, metabolism, energy, strength, stamina, exercise tolerance & libido
Results in insomnia, anxiety, sugar cravings, feeling tired but wired & increased belly fat
Causes chronic fatigue, low energy, food and sugar cravings, poor exercise tolerance or recovery & low immune reserves
Changes in estrogen and progesterone levels can impact neurotransmitter levels. For instance, a drop in estrogen can result in a drop in serotonin.
Changes in estrogen levels can lead to thyroid symptoms like slowed metabolism and always feeling cold. In fact, many women experiencing menopause will be diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
Sufficient levels of Vitamin D, estrogen and testosterone are important for maintaining bone health in the menopause years.
Salivary hormone testing is an easy, non-invasive diagnostic option to measure unbound and biologically active levels of key hormones during menopause.
Whats Being Tested
- Menopause Plus™ is our most comprehensive salivary hormone test for evaluating key hormone levels in both women and men.
- Eight specimens – collected over six days –
- the progesterone/estradiol ratio (P/E2),
To enhance clinical utility, in addition to evaluating patient results against various healthy cohort reference ranges, a therapeutic cohort results cover page is provided for the clinician to quickly and conveniently observe where patient results fall in comparison to a cohort of peri/menopausal women treated with bioidentical hormone therapy.
The Menopause Plus hormone test provides information about the impact that shifting hormone levels can have in women during perimenopause and menopause. In addition, imbalances of other steroid hormones, such as DHEA, cortisol, and melatonin, can influence sex-hormone production. Hormones imbalances can be associated with common symptoms such as:
- Hot flashes
- Weight loss or gain
- Menstrual irregularities
- Loss of libido
- Changes in hair and skin
Benefits of our Menopause Plus Assessment
The Menopause Plus salivary assessment offers several advantages for patients presenting with hormone-related symptoms:
- Comprehensive testing: eight saliva samples, collected every other day over 6 days, provides individual and average levels for estrone (E1), estradiol (E2), estriol (E3), progesterone, progesterone/estradiol ratio (P/E2), as well as a one-time measurement of testosterone; additional collections over a 24-hr period provide diurnal measurement of cortisol, DHEA, and melatonin
- Reporting: reference and therapeutic ranges enabling the physician to choose the optimal reference cohort for their patient
- Patient ease-of-use: saliva testing is simple, non-invasive and at-home collection
Imbalanced hormone production affects a wide range of body functions, producing symptoms that can negatively affect the quality of life. Identification and targeted treatment of hormonal imbalances using customized hormone therapy, targeted nutritional supplementation and/or diet/lifestyle recommendations can improve symptoms and enhance quality of life.
The Personalized Menopause Plus Profile includes:
- Hormone Testing
- One on One consult with Dr Hagmeyer to discuss test results and treatment recommendations.
- A Review of A Metabolic Assessment Screening/Questionnaire form – this helps to identify any additional hidden metabolic imbalances that may be a contributing factors. (Thyroid, Blood sugar, SIBO, Leaky Gut, Adrenal, Hormones, Toxicity, Electrolytes to mention few)
What Are My Treatment Options?
A Personalized treatment program and cost of treatment plan will be recommended after your test results have been reviewed.
Does Insurance Cover this test?
I have a Flex Spending account- Can I use This?
Do I have to go to a doctor’s office to have this test done?
No- This test is a saliva test and can be done in the privacy and comfort of your own home. Testing includes prepaid shipping materials and everything you need to ensure proper delivery to the lab.
How long will it take to receive my Test Results?
Results are posted within 7-14 business days. Our office will notify you when test results have been reported.
Are There instructions that come with this test on how to collect my specimen?
Yes- The kit comes with easy to follow instructions
Will Dr Hagmeyer discuss the test results with me?
Yes. Dr Hagmeyer will review the test result with you. Each test comes with a 30-45 minute post test review/explanation and recommendation for a treatment plan.
Can I cancel my test If I change my mind?
One we have placed the order for the test- We are unable to issue a refund.