What are ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders?
ADD and ADHD are Neurobehavioral Disorders caused from a disconnect in the part of the brain called the Frontal Lobe. ADD and ADHD fall into the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) classification and share many features in common.
The spectrum can be thought of as a circle of one single disorder – a brain disconnect cause by an inflammatory response.
Anxiety, Depression, Panic, Fear, Anger, Bi-Polar, Chronic Fatigue, Chemical Imbalances and Mood Disorders fit directly into the same Profile as attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), pervasive developmental disorder (PSS-NOS), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Asperger’s syndrome, and Autism to name a few.
These should be viewed as points in a circle of frontal lobe disabilities in which those points share features in common, varying only in severity and location.
Signs, Symptoms of ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders
Most Frontal Lobe syndromes can clearly be related to a dysfunctional or delayed development of the right hemisphere of the brain. This right hemisphericity may also explain why males are affected more than females. The frequency ranges from 6 to 1 in ADD to 50 to 1 in high functioning autistic individuals. Since male brains are more asymmetrical than female brains, the hypo-functioning right hemisphere is more susceptible to prenatal and postnatal influences. These influences, which are thought to consist of maternal prenatal level of estrogen, create this left greater than right cortical development characteristic of male brains.
Learn more about non-drug relief for ADD and ADHD
There are many underlying biochemical causes which may lead to what we call autism, or contribute to the symptoms experienced by autistic children.
Some of these include:
- Digestive disturbances, such as lack of digestive capacity, digestive inflammation, and digestive parasites.
- Food allergies and intolerances.
- Neurotransmitter activity, including excessive excitotoxic neurotransmitters such as glutamate.
- Stress hormones and adrenal function, including cortisol levels, which can affect sleep, anxiety and coping tolerance.
- Sleep hormones and neurotransmitters, affecting sleep initiation and maintenance.
- Methylation cycle deficiencies or defects.
- Essential fatty acid deficiencies.
- Candida overgrowth, which can be tested for.
- Chronic inflammation, including neurological (brain) inflammation.
- Pyrrole disorder, also called kryptopyrrole or pyroluria, can exacerbate anxiety, lack of calm and sleep issues.
- Heavy metal or toxin exposure.
- Genetic inability to detoxify heavy metals or other toxins.
- Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies.
- Chronic, undiagnosed infections, including viral infections and bacterial infections.
Treatment for ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders
Dr.Hagmeyer and his staff at DrHagmeyer.com are committed to finding the BIOCHEMICAL CAUSES of your ADD, ADHD, or Autism Spectrum symptoms, and will work tirelessly to help you and your family achieve optimal health.
Read more about ADD/ADHD symptoms and treatments.
Not sure where to start?
In order to make the most out of your time with Dr. Hagmeyer, please take a moment to complete our health questionnaire.