More than 50% of the population are affected by genetic mutations in the methylation pathway.1
Standard MTHFR genotyping only evaluates folic acid metabolism. The MethylDetox Profile makes it easy to understand the complicated methylation process by giving comprehensive insights into the functional status of the methylation pathway.
The MethylDetox Profile includes genetic markers involved in methylation and homocysteine metabolism provided in a detailed lab report with personalized commentary. Additionally, continued homocysteine testing enables easy monitoring of patient progress.
Genetic variations in this pathway are associated with elevated homocysteine levels, impaired methylation processes and limited detoxification capacity. 1, 3
As a result, these SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) may contribute to accelerated aging, certain chronic diseases like cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative disorders, impaired gene-regulation, poor drug clearance, and impaired neurotransmitter metabolism. 1, 3-21
Who Should Test?
Individuals with a manifestation and/or family history of:
• Cardiovascular disease
• Hypertension, coronary artery disease, stroke
• Neurodegenerative disorders
• Poor drug clearance
• Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS)
• Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
• Chronic metabolic disorders
• Metabolic syndrome
• Kidney or liver disease
• Musculoskeletal disorders
• Autism spectrum disorder
• Alzheimer’s Disease
What’s Being Tested
Understanding Methionine and Homocysteine Balance
The primary purpose of methionine/ homocysteine balance is to ensure proper methylation by donating methyl groups for:
- DNA methylation (gene regulation)
- Regulation of neurotransmitters (e.g. epinephrine, norepinephrine, and Dopamine)
- Detoxification of catecholamines from the environment
- Drug clearance (phase II liver detoxification)
- Homocysteine is also a precursor in the biosynthesis of L-cysteine for glutathione; glutathione is important for the detoxification of electrophilic compounds (metals).
- Elevated serum homocysteine is a widely accepted marker for methionine/homocysteine imbalance, which is a genetically controlled process. 28
Elevated homocysteine levels can lead to accelerated aging, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative disorders among others. 20, 21, 29
The Methyl Detox Profile includes
- 30 minute consult with Dr Hagmeyer.
- Supplementation recommendations for personalized treatment.
- Review of Your MAF-DrHagmeyer-Fillable – this helps to identify any metabolic imbalances you may have (Thyroid, Blood sugar, Adrenal, Hormones, Toxicity, Electrolytes to mention few)
What Are My Treatment Options?
A Personalized treatment program and cost of treatment plan will be recommended after your test results have been reviewed.
Mutations in these genes are associated with:
- Cardiovascular disease (including coronary artery disease, stroke and blood clots)
- Peripheral neuropathy, congenital birth defects, neural tube defects (spina bifida) and miscarriages.
- Chronic disease, e.g. fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraines, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), dementia, OCD, bipolar syndrome, schizophrenia, depression and more.
- Diminished methylation capacities of DNA, phytochemicals, catecholamines, environmental toxins (xenobiotics)
Not sure where to start?
In order to make the most out of your time with Dr. Hagmeyer, please take a moment to complete our health questionnaire.