Simple Beef Pot Roast
Yield 4 servings
- 1 beef chuck roast, about 2 lbs
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 F.
- Season the roast all over with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste as well as the cumin and rub some cooking fat all over as well.
- Heat a skillet over a high heat and brown the roast on both sides.
- Set aside, reduce the heat under the skillet to medium, add some cooking fat if needed and fry the onion with the garlic until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato juice, balsamic vinegar and add the olives and raisins, then bring to a boil and let boil until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Place the chuck roast in a oven proof pot and pour the liquid over.
- Place in the oven to cook for about 3 to 3 ½ hours, until the meat is very fork tender.
- When cooked, let the meat rest for at least 30 minutes before carving and serving with the sauce.