Smokey Roast from Everyday Paleo
Yield 6 servings
Coffee Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all spice rub ingredients together and set aside.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 2.5 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- ¾ cup water
- Heat your coconut oil in a skillet over medium to medium high heat, make sure your pan is nice and hot!
- Take the spice rub mixture and rub the entire amount into and all over the roast – really rub it in, do not just brush it on!
- Using tongs, place the roast into the hot skillet and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side. If your pan is not hot enough you will lose your spices, but if it’s too hot, you will burn your roast. You want it to make a nice crust on both sides of the meat.
- Place your sliced onions in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Once the roast has been seared, put the roast in the slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Add the water, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://www.drhagmeyer.com/smokey-roast/