Spicy Tomato Soup with Chicken and Lime
Recipe courtesy of Zenbelly
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 2 roasted peppers or a 12-14 oz jar, small dice (reserve the liquid if using jarred)
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste (chipotle peppers in adobo)
- 12-14 oz diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferable homemade
- 2 cups cooked chicken1 avocado, diced
- 4 lime wedges
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, sauce the onion in bacon fat over medium heat until golden, 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the salt, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and sauté another 30 seconds or so, just enough for the spices to become fragrant.
- Add the roasted peppers and chipotle paste, 1/4 cup of the reserved roasted pepper liquid, and tomatoes. Simmer 2-4 minutes
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for at least 10 minutes. You can let it simmer longer, I like to let it go for 30 minutes or so. Not necessary, but nice for flavor development.
- Stir in the chicken and simmer another minute or two, just enough to warm the chicken.
- Serve with lime wedges, avocado, and fresh cilantro.