Sweet Potato Casserole
Courtesy of Paleo Pot.
This meal will help you sustain energy through the day or through a workout! We use this recipe either before or after a Cross Fit Workout.
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef ( Chicken, Bison, or other meat)
- 1 package of bacon (Turkey)
- 8 eggs
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large red onion
- Spices: Cayenne, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano
- 1 large deep rimmed skillet or pan
- Peel your sweet potatoes and microwave them for 2-3 minutes to soften them slightly
- Slice your sweet potatoes into 1/8″ slices, or thin like in the picture
- Dice your bacon finely and brown it in a pan into crisp pieces
- Remove your bacon from the pan and set it aside for later
- Dice your onions into large chunks and add to your pan along with your ground beef. Make sure you use a deep skillet or pan big enough to brown 2 pounds of beef and 2 onions.
- Season your beef as you wish. I used a generous amount of cayenne, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Make sure your beef is fully browned and onions are translucent.
- Beat your 8 eggs in a bowl, blender, or food processor.
- Add some cayenne and paprika to your egg mixture if you wish.
- Grease your slow cooker with some coconut oil.
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with slices of sweet potato. Just enough so that you cover the bottom.
- Spoon in a layer of your seasoned beef onto the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle some of your crisped bacon pieces on top of the beef.
- The goal here is to keep layering evenly until you use up your supplies. If you end up with some extra sweet potatoes, I’m sure you can think of a few ways to eat them later.
- Once you have finished layering, pour your egg mixture over the top. Trust me on this. The eggs will fall into place and make the magic happen.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
As a test run on this recipe I will say that it was delicious but I did not like it so much as a left over meal! This recipe fed my family of six with ample leftovers so I would suggest cutting the recipe in half if you wish to eliminate leftovers. This recipe can also be made by using a cast iron deep skillet. Follow all directions up to the part of the crockpot but instead use your cast iron skillet. Toss it in the oven and cook for 45minutes to an hour at 350.