It is often said that the mind, body, and soul are connected. When one thrives, the other two stand to benefit. Of course, it also works the other way too – when one suffers, the other two suffer as a result. This creates an ongoing cycle that threatens an individual’s quality of life.
While this is something many people believe to be true, that doesn’t mean it’s something that’s practiced often in the healthcare industry. In fact, most traditional doctors are so focused on treating the symptoms that they don’t spend enough time treating the individual as a whole.
Over the past few decades, the healthcare industry has seen the emergence of alternative medicine and a new, patient-focused approach to preventing, diagnosing, and treating disease. At the forefront of this emergence stands a new form of medicine called holistic medicine.
So, what is a holistic doctor?
A holistic doctor is a healthcare professional that practices holistic medicine, often in conjunction with traditional methods and techniques. They’re best known for their whole-body (body, mind, spirit, and emotions) approach to achieving optimal health and wellness in each individual.
The primary goal behind holistic medicine is achieving a balance between mind, body, and spirit. They believe an imbalance in one bodily system or process results in further imbalances throughout the rest of the body. By treating the body as a whole, optimal health is achievable.
A holistic medicine doctor will generally use a combination of traditional and conventional medicine along with alternative therapies and lifestyle modifications when treating patients. They’re not only focused on relieving pain or discomfort, but also preventing it from coming back in the future.
Holistic Doctor vs. Traditional Doctor
When you visit your doctor with symptoms, they generally treat those symptoms with medication and send you on your way. While most patients will find relief this way, some patients won’t and even those that do might see their symptoms return at a later date.
Traditional doctors are more focused on treating the symptoms or condition with conventional medication and therapy. Although holistic practitioners rely on those same values and practices, they go beyond treating the symptoms by treating the underlying root cause of said symptoms.
Let’s take a look at some of the most prominent benefits of a holistic practitioner:
- Holistic doctors improve your overall health and wellness.
- Holistic doctors take a customized, tailored, personal, and holistic approach to healthcare.
- Patients usually build a much stronger relationship with a holistic doctor.
- Holistic doctors not only make recommendations but help you make the necessary changes in your life.
- Holistic doctors are often doctors with the same medical training as traditional doctors, they just operate differently.
- Holistic doctors don’t just treat symptoms, they treat causes.
Holistic medicine is becoming more and more popular in the world today as traditional doctors are forced to change their way of thinking to accommodate patient demands. In fact, many people say holistic medicine is the future and it’s only a matter of time before it’s the standard.
Primary Principles of Holistic Medicine
Although the term ‘holistic healthcare’ is a rather new term in the healthcare industry, the concept of holistic medicine is nothing new to the world. In fact, holistic practices, methods, and techniques date back thousands of years with the introduction of Ayurvedic medicine in India.
Holistic doctors have evolved since then, but the primary guiding principles and the overall goal of holistic medicine have remained the same. Let’s take a look at some of those primary principles most holistic doctors are committed to:
- All people have inborn healing abilities that you can tap into.
- The patient and doctor must work together as a team to address the underlying cause of the problem.
- Doctors must treat patients as a person, not a disease.
- You don’t just treat symptoms, but causes.
- Treating the individual as a whole – including mind, body, spirit, and emotions.
- Prevention first, treatment second.
- Treatment often involves a combination of methods, techniques, and practices.
With holistic medicine, the individual must be prepared to open up about their symptoms and lifestyle. A strong relationship between patient and doctor is necessary, though it’s something many traditional doctors avoid. That’s what makes holistic medicine a preferred option today.
Common Treatments Used By Holistic Doctors
Every holistic doctor is different and while they all operate with the same framework and mindset, that doesn’t mean they all utilize the same methods when treating their patients. Not only that, but everyone’s body is unique and will require a unique and tailored treatment plan.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common holistic treatments utilized by holistic doctors today:
- Educating the individual on managing and maintaining holistic health and wellness.
- Habitual and lifestyle changes (exercise, sleep, diet, stress management, etc.).
- Massage therapy, acupressure, and acupuncture.
- Aromatherapy, hypnosis, and reiki.
- Supplements and herbal remedies.
- Meditation, yoga, and mindfulness.
- Prescription medication and over-the-counter drugs.
- Physical therapy and surgery.
- Chiropractic or osteopathic care.
Patients should be honest with their holistic doctor, that way they can make real, life-changing recommendations to help you look, feel, and act your best. With the right care, the right monitoring, and the right prevention, you can live a healthy, happy, and rewarding lifestyle.
How to Find the Right Holistic Doctor
Holistic medicine is becoming a preferred option among patients and is often utilized in conjunction with conventional medicine. It can help people in a variety of ways by not only treating disease and other health conditions but preventing them and achieving optimal health long-term.
Of course, your treatment is largely dependent on how knowledgeable, talented, experienced, trained, and certified your holistic doctor is. That’s why it’s extremely important that you meet with a proven, trusted, and respected holistic doctor – remember, they’re not all created equal!
If you’re looking for a quality holistic doctor that treats causes, not just symptoms, then you’ve come to the right place. Dr. Hagmeyer has helped a variety of individuals find relief in their life and he’s excited to continue helping patients for many years to come. Contact us today to schedule your free, 15-minute consultation.